Thursday, November 21, 2013

5th Week - Make Art That Sells - Gift Market


The final week of the MATS course was all about the gift market.  Our mini assignment involved gathering together a 'collection' of our belongings - things that went together and worked as a theme - and scanning or photographing them.  At first I was thinking I might use my collection of pots, jugs and bowls but when the main assignment came through I realized that wasn't really going to work.
I've been 'collecting' old lady embroideries for years - more randomly acquiring them than purposefully collecting - and when I gathered them in a heap and set them next to a few other bits and pieces I have -  some old lady brooches, some little ceramic and jade elephants, a 1960's sugar bowl and mug - I could see that the colors and styles went together really nicely.
The main assignment involved setting the images together (preferably using a mirroring repeat, and adopting a 'hyperlush', 'more is more' philosophy) in a design that would feature on a zippered pouch.
I've never done this before.  I've been hooked on Illustrator for a while and forgot that Photoshop can offer so much in terms of incorporating a diverse range of imagery that can be edited to my liking - and previous experience of this was limited to the odd scanned drawing and texture.  
I really love the vibrancy of the photographic motifs and how they (surprisingly) sit so nicely next to more traditional surface pattern imagery.  I'm really pleased with the result and have used many of the motifs again in a new Christmas group (to be posted!).
This course has really opened my eyes in so many ways.  I'm going to post a summary of my experience here on Dec 2nd when it's my turn to participate in a blog tour with my lovely new MATS mates!  Be prepared for lots of enthusiastic adjectives!!
Have a look below at all the bits I gathered that found their way onto a make-up bag design!



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely pouch and personal belongings! It reminds me so much of home :)

    ReplyDelete