Sunday, October 27, 2013

3rd Week - Make Art That Sells - Children's Book Illustration


So - this week was children's book illustration, something I've longed to do for years.  I've always thought I'd do it in a clean, graphic way in illustrator and have even played with ideas in the past.  But we were given a Russian folk tale to read and illustrate and there was such a sense of melancholy and nostalgia about it that I thought it needed to be soft and layered, almost dreamlike - like the magical Czechoslovakian films that would sometimes be shown on a rainy afternoon when I was little.  I thought the obvious way to achieve this would be with Photoshop layers.  As it turned out, there were 45 of them.  I thought my computer would just explode in my lap with the exertion.
I just loved this assignment - apart from that little boy's face which I drew about 50 times - and I sat for literally hours on the sofa, lost in this world I was building.
Of course at the end I had a million doubts - was it too sombre, was that little boy too much of a cliche, was that gold colour too dominant, the teal too dark?  I fiddled with the fine tuning for an entire day until I'd lost all perspective.  Ultimately though, I'd say this week was revelatory - it's led me to consider that maybe I could do this.  Maybe I could approach a publisher and say 'What about this?'
I didn't manage to sketch much this week as I had a freelance deadline but the ones I did do played a big role in the final piece.  Sorry about the poor quality photos!








9 comments:

  1. Well done Victoria. Pssst... It's really one of my favorites!!! I love the world you created and the softness of the illustration. So, so beautiful. I really could see it on the shelves of Barnes and Noble!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece is so, so beautiful! It's my favourite too! You really achieved that magical folky quality. I love all the layers, the colours and the elements in it. I could look at it for hours. You must be so organised when you work- only 45 layers? I had 70!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours was one of my favorites as well! It looks so soft and dreamy, I was wondering what did you use to make it and intended to ask you, so glad the answer was in your blog post :). 45 layers huh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really adore what you came up with, so many layers yet you retained a soft quality that seems perfect for a childrens book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much! It's one of my favorites! The layers are the details are just magical. You've inspired me to spend more time experimenting in photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a skilled illustrator Victoria. This work just shows off so much of your talent - as do your sketches. 45 layers?! That intrigues me. Makes me want to experiment a bit more with my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your ilustratiom! Great! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone. It means such a lot to me to read these lovely comments from such extraordinarily talented people. I'm just thrilled that you like something that was such a labour of love for me! Rebecca - 70!!!!! I'm surprised your computer didn't blow up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book cover is amazing! Really love it, well done you!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete